National Museum of Archaeology
The National Museum of Archaeology is housed in the Auberge de Provence in Republic Street, Valletta. The building, an example of fine Baroque architecture, was built in 1571 and followed a plan by local architect Ġilormu Cassar. The Auberge de Provence was house to the Knights of the Order of St John originating from Provence, France, and displays beautiful architectural features. Of particular note is the Grand Salon, with its richly painted walls and wooden beamed ceiling.
The Museum exhibits a spectacular range of artefacts dating back to Malta’s Neolithic period (5000 B.C.) up to the Phoenician Period (400 B.C.) On display are the earliest tools used by the prehistoric people to facilitate their daily tasks and representations of animal and human figures; elements which not only show the great artistic skills of the first dwellers of the island but also gives us an insight of their daily lives.